Carbon monoxide (CO) is colorless, odorless and poisonous. Any fuel-burning equipment can be a source of CO. To help prevent CO poisoning:
» Install CO detectors on each level of your home.
» Never use an outdoor grill or heating appliance indoors.
» Only operate generators and fuel-burning appliances outside, never inside or in a garage or basement.
» Have your heating system inspected and serviced annually. Ensure chimneys and flues are cleared of blockage.
Decorate safely. Remember to:
» Keep your tree, wrapping paper and other flammable materials safely away from fireplaces and all heating sources.
» Avoid overloading circuits and unplug your lights before leaving home.
» When hanging holiday lights, check for cracked or frayed wires.
» Only use lights and extension cords rated for outdoor use when decorating your home's exterior.
» Never put staples or nails through wires to hang them up.
If you ever detect a natural gas odor:
»STOP what you are doing.
»GO outside immediately.
»LET US KNOW by calling 911 or our gas odor hotline at 1-800-942-8274.
Remember: Stop. Go. Let us know.
Space heaters cause one-third of home heating fires and 80% of home heating fire deaths. If you use a space heater, keep flammable materials, such as curtains and papers, away. Never leave a space heater on when no one is present.